Sharks stop Miners in Obuasi
7/17/2017 12:22:49 PM

AshantiGold failed to preserve their unbeaten run in the second round of the Ghana Premier League on Sunday.

Elmina Sharks travelled to hand the Miners a shock 2-1 home defeat at the Len Clay Stadium on matchday 23.

The hosts got an opportunity to take the lead when they were handed a penalty by referee Samuel Sukah. But centre-back Richard Ocran failed to convert from the spot – he saw his kick palmed away by Sharks shot-stopper Richard Arthur.

AshantiGold kept probing for the opener but it ended up going the way of the visitors who drew a deserved penalty off Roland Amouzou. The Togolese left-back tripped Suraj Ibrahim in the penalty area. Eric Osei stepped up and scored the penalty on 28 minutes.

Ten minutes later, it was 2-0 for Sharks. A big boot up field from goalkeeper saw Felix Addo outwitting Ocran for the ball – the winger dashed into the box and cut back for an onrushing Benjamin Tweneboah who brilliantly got a touch of the ball into the net from behind two markers.

Coach C.K Akonnor was forced to take out influential winger Amos Addai who came off worse in a clash of heads with Samuel Arthur. His replacement, Osei Baffour failed to failed to glitter and got substituted in the 67th minute.

Prince Owusu, the brightest spot for AshGold on the afternoon, managed to pull one back after a solo effort in the 74th minute.

Tried as the Miners pushed for the equalizer, Sharks were on hand to contain the pressure and even came close to extending the lead.

“It was a very difficult game but I’m happy that our tactics and discipline was perfect. I will congratulate the guys for the hardwork.

“We knew that AshGold were in form so we decided to soak the early pressure and after, open up. Now we are 50% at it [escaping relegation]. We have to work harder and ensure we stay in the league,” Elmina Sharks coach Yaw Acheampong said after the match.

Elmina Sharks are now 11th on the log with 30 points while AshGold have dropped to just above the drop zone.